top of page
Victim Services

You say to yourself, it won’t happen to me...but then it does. You are the victim of crime. Your property has been stolen or destroyed. You or a loved one is injured, and now you have to deal with the criminal court system. Who is there to help you? The defendant has rights. What rights does the victim have?


The New Hanover and Pender District Attorney’s Office has formed a Victim Services Program to make sure that crime victims get a chance to be heard in court. We need to work together to properly prosecute criminals.

The first step is to visit our Staff Directory page and contact the Victim Witness Legal Assistant assigned to your case and ensure that our office has all your correct contact information.  

The next step is to fill out the necessary paperwork for your case. You can download these forms here or get them from your assigned VWLA:

We also encourage you to visit the NC Department of Public Safety Victim Services website for lots of useful information in both English and Spanish, including these victim brochures:

If you are a complainant in a self-initiated case, please be reminded of the terms in the attached document, provided by the magistrate. 

Victims Compensation

The NC Department of Public Safety Victims Compensation Services reimburses citizens who suffer medical expenses and lost wages as a result of being an innocent victim of a crime committed in North Carolina. Victims of rape, assault, child sexual abuse, domestic violence and drunk driving, as well as the families of homicide victims, are eligible to apply for financial help.

Applications for claims can be obtained from your VWLA, from the NC Department of Public Safety website, or by calling 919-733-7974.

Información en español

bottom of page